Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats a good way to start?  (Read 8716 times)
ninjubrew
« on: January 11, 2012, 05:16:59 PM »

whats a good way to start a mead and a cider? i have read some about them but i would like to hear what you guys think is a good way to get into it.
LVBen
Master Brewer

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:34 PM »

This is what I did for my first cider and it came out great:

1 gallon of Mott's apple juice + 1/2 packet of munton's dry ale yeast sprinkled on top

Ferment at 65.  Wait til it is done fermenting and then bottle it.  (Add a little extra priming sugar so that it will be sparkling.)

Wait 6 months and you'll have a delicious, dry, champagne-like cider.  It'll be fine to drink before 6 months, but might still have some yeasty off-flavors.  It really does seem to take 6 months for the yeast to clean up after their giant orgy if you want the best flavor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:33:59 PM by LVBen » Logged

Ask not what your country can brew for you!  Ask what you can brew for your country!
sheets
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:17:01 PM »

Mead is pretty simple, just the first week or so can be a pain in the ass. You have two options really, to heat or not to heat. If heating you can either bring your honey/water mix to a boil for 5-10 minutes or you can pastuerize at 160 and hold it there for 20 minutes or so, adding nutrients just as you would in beer. If you want to go the no heat route you just drop your honey into a fermenter, top with water and stir the hell out of it (a drill with a stir wand helps). I usually go the pastuerization route for fear of contamination unless i'm using a honey i really want to preserve the flavor of. After all that you add 5 tsp yeast nutrient and 3 tsp energizer and pitch just about any wine, champagne, or even some ale yeasts. My favorite is white labs sweet mead yeast. From there ya just wait til fermentation starts then de-gas every day for about a week while adding a mix of 1 tsp nutrient + 1/2 tsp energizer. De-gassing is really just stirring the mead a little and trying to get whatever so2 (sulfer dioxide) may be lingering in there. Then after about a week just sit and wait for that bad boy to drop clear, could be weeks, could be months, then transfer and let it sit in the fermenter for at least another few months. If it still tastes too young or sulfery, let it sit longer. If not, Bottle it sucka! Sorry i just wrote a freakin novel Shocked
ninjubrew
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »

hmmm how much honey to how much water for a mead? i want to start with a 3 gallon batch.
sheets
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

Depends on how strong ya want it really. 6 lbs in 3 gallons will bring ya up to around 11%. Generally the stronger u go the longer it takes til it's fully mature.
ninjubrew
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

sweet i will start with that. eventually i want to blend it with a beer. so i can serve it to the chicks that want something light
sheets
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:24 PM »

Hahahahah those chicks that kept comin up asking for it at GVR must've been shit-housed immediately Grin
LVBen
Master Brewer

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »

Hahahahah those chicks that kept comin up asking for it at GVR must've been shit-housed immediately Grin

You should call it Panty Dropper Braggot!  Is there going to be another Seven Beerfest this year?

Ask not what your country can brew for you!  Ask what you can brew for your country!
ninjubrew
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:23 PM »

no kidding. didnt help that i was drinking as fast as they were
sheets
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »

Haha you and my roommate both... although he ended up getting kicked out of GVR when security found his sleeping on a toilet full of puke.
sheets
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

You should call it Panty Dropper Braggot!  Is there going to be another Seven Beerfest this year?

Dig it, that may just be the new name. "Get's your girlfriend drunk Braggot" just doesn't have the same ring. And yes, they're planning on doing another one this summer  Grin
ninjubrew
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 05:51:53 PM »

can we not be in the corner this time please sir. that was a long ass walk with all our stuff
sheets
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

Thats true but it was worth it. May have been just about the best spot in the place. That pathway almost acted as a people-funnel with the best booth being at the end of course  Wink Ya may just get lucky though, they're considering a new venue and we get first dibs on the best spot.
ninjubrew
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

right on. when they figure it out we should go scout it out
TonBrew
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:40:51 PM »

for sure, I'd like to make it this time!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register
spotty