Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whats a good way to start?  (Read 8717 times)
LVBen
Master Brewer

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

I did like that spot at GVR.  It was a long trip, though, with that heavy bar.  We had to take 3 rest breaks carrying it out.

Ask not what your country can brew for you!  Ask what you can brew for your country!
Spencer

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »

Cider can be as simple or complex as you want really.   

Just a few notes from my experiments.

The average store bought apple juice/cider will be ~1.050, which will give you a cider of about 5-6% ABV depending on yeast and fermentation temp.   

Avoid champagne yeast!  I've had good results with ale yeasts of various types but so far I've had my best results with Wine yeasts.   I've tried actual cider yeast ones, didn't really see much difference between it and English ale yeasts.   Though one batch hardly makes a complete data set.

If you are Fruiting your cider then you will want a higher finishing gravity.  You need some of that residual sugar to get the flavor of the fruit to express its self.   Else you'll end up with dry & sour cider.   (Fruit - sugar = sour)    So, plan to either arrest the fermentation or plan to back fill with a bit of sugar.

Living in Las Vegas really limits good cider apple availability.  we have one orchard so when its open pick up some juice from them.  Else we are pretty much limited to store bought varieties.  Regardless you don't need fresh pressed apples to make good ciders.   Focus on process(temperature) & yeast choices.  If you want to add variety then process apples the same way you'd process fruit for a beer. 

There's a club brew February 4th that I was looking in to doing a Cider brew at.   Just a basic cider for the club, maybe with a little extra sugars/apples.
jimmayhugh
Jr. Brewer

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »

You should call it Panty Dropper Braggot!

That's close to what I called my Prickly Pear Mead...
ninjubrew
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:43 PM »

i made my first mead today. my og was 1.073 does that sound about right?
TonBrew
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 07:55:33 AM »

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/sticky-mead-making-faqs-83030/

I found this from the homebrew talk forum, my second favorite beer forum (behind ours and because the damn AHA forum isn't mobile!)  enjoy
DingoSloth
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

I'm a little late...and a little lazy to see if anyone has mentioned it...but I like the forum on gotmead.com to gain some info on mead.  It's mobile as well...a plus when a random idea pops in your head and you want to see if anyone has tried it before.
Fozz

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »

I did the beginner recipe on storm the castle but did not use the bread yeast.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/index.htm

This next link is a very good article on melomels by curt stock.

www.bjcp.org/mead/melomel.pdf

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register
spotty