Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: buying new equipment  (Read 1920 times)
hdhog

« on: June 18, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »

I am looking and buy a new brew kettle a 15 gallon Blichmann boilmaster and all the site say about a option false bottom. I know in a Mash Tun why you would want or need a false bottom but can some explain the advanges of having it in a brew kettle?
TonBrew
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »

Trub separation is the reason. Allowing clearer wort to enter your fermenters, makes it much easier to have a beer after fermentation. Also, if you harvest or repitch your yeast, clear wort will yield cleaning yeast

-Ton
MattB
Administrator
Master Brewer

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »

I have 2 of the Blichmann kettles. The false bottom that are available work excellent when used as a mash tons. They also make a “hop blocker” for trube separation when used as a boil kettle. (I find the Hop blocker work so so with hop pellets, much better with whole hops and fantastic with a combo of pellets and whole hops.)
If you know that you will not be using the kettle as mash ton then I see no advantage to the false bottom when using it in a boil kettle. You can easily order one in the future if you want to use your kettle as a mash ton later.

Matt

I was in love with a beautiful blonde once, dear. She drove me to drink. That's the one thing I'm so indebted to her for. Yes indeed...  W.C.Fields
WarnerDuh

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:10:56 AM »

Dells are great value and I really have not had many problems with themOwn 4.  The new Compaqs also are good from what I hear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register
spotty