Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeast die off  (Read 1062 times)
SinCityKnight

« on: February 21, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »

So, after only 2 days in my primary fermenter, all my yeast died off! It got real cold in our hous and they just went the way of the dodo. I was thinking then of bringing it back to 70* and transfering it to start a secondary fermentation. Would that work? Last time I brewed it was at least 5 days before it stopped bubbling and now I am at a stand still. Thanks
bombersandtalls
Assistant Brewer

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:36:43 AM »

What style are you making?  What yeast are you using?  Did you happen to take gravity readings before pitch and when the yeast stalled?  What are you fermenting in, glass, bucket, Better Bottle?

Without specifics, it's tough to make an accurate guess, but here are some general guesses in order of likelihood.

1. Fermentation is still going, but greatly slowed.  In this case, RDWHAHB. Grin
2. Fermentation slowed down, and now CO2 is escaping though another point in your fermentation vessel.  This is woth investigating, but generally not cause for too nuch worry.  Plastic buckets are famous for this.
3. Fermentation is complete, or nearly complete.  This would be unlikely with a mead/cider, but very possible with a low gravity beer and some strains of yeast.

Let us know what you can.  If you haven't taken gravity readings, take one now, gently swirl the vessel, and take another one in a few days. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register
spotty