Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you guys "stepping up" to liquid yeast  (Read 1100 times)
bombersandtalls
Assistant Brewer

« on: June 23, 2015, 11:10:05 AM »

Hey All,

I hear a lot of people saying that in order to make really good, competition quality beer, that you have to use a high quality liquid yeast and an ample starter.  While I don't disagree that this is a good idea, I wonder about how much farther it will get you than simply using a proper amount of rehydrated yeast, proper yeast nutrients, well controlled fermentation and meticulous sanitation. 

So I picked up a vial of White Labs WLP017, Wyeast 1099, and Fermentis S-04 to go in a split 15gal batch English ale of average to slightly above average gravity.  Slightly above average gravity was chosen because that's where the yeast start to become more expressive, and also where fusels become more apparent.

Even if the OG and ADF are different, I'll bet only the most discerning and lucky individuals will be able to pick out different manufacturers of a very similar strain.  We'll see. 

If anyone is interested in sampling the trio and can't make it to the Aces Nellis or Tenaya meetings, let me know and I'll save some for you. 
Trango81

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 07:36:55 AM »

I'm interested in the sampling of the trio!  I'll shoot you and email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
High Desert Brewer
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »

That's right, we talked a little bit about that on Wednesday night. Usually if you split a batch and the only thing different is the yeast then it's fairly easy to taste the difference. I've tried this myself a few times and the results were very interesting. But the key point is to ferment each batch at exactly the same temperature to eliminate flavor variations from temperature differences. Easy to do if you have a temp controlled fermentation chamber in which your fermenting containers can fit in at the same time. That way any temperature fluctuations affect all vessels the same (assuming same volumes). Let me know when the beers are ready for tasting and I'll help with the tasting.

Homebrew rocks!
killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:56 AM »

I'm not convinced that a starter is really necessary to brew competitive beers if the OG is 1.060 or below.  I think you also need to factor in the volume of wort you're starting with.

Regardlesss, I am looking forward to sampling your trio James.

SNAFU Competition Coordinator
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register
spotty