Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union - The Forum
News: Welcome to the SNAFU - Forum

Home Help Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single Category, Club Only competitions  (Read 2647 times)
killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« on: August 22, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

All,

We're considering starting single category, club only competitions to be held in conjunction with our SNAFU Gauntlet events.  This would give more feedback to our members and give our aspiring judges more opportunities to judge.

Comments or ideas?

Bill

SNAFU Competition Coordinator
High Desert Brewer
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »

All,

We're considering starting single category, club only competitions to be held in conjunction with our SNAFU Gauntlet events.  This would give more feedback to our members and give our aspiring judges more opportunities to judge.

Comments or ideas?

Bill

There are lots of variations on the theme. Choose a specific BJCP category once a month and let everybody brew one and get together to compare. Or, post a simple recipe and ask everybody to brew it using your choice of one specified ingredient, ie. same recipe but you choose the yeast/hops/etc. Encourage all participants to take copious notes on brew day and after for fermenting, conditioning, carbonating, and packaging. It's a great learning experience for homebrewers and great for practicing judging skills. Plus it can be educational in exposing people to styles they haven't tried. And for aspiring judges it's important to note that you may be asked to judge a style you aren't familiar with or don't like the taste of (although you typically have the option to opt out of specific styles you don't feel competent with). There are my two suggestions. Brew a style, or brew a recipe.

Homebrew rocks!
killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »

Excellent input James.  Initially I think we'll start with a simple single category competition.  

I like the idea of either brewing the exact same recipe with variations accepted for brewing process/equipment.  

I've also heard of other clubs brewing the same recipe with brewers varying one ingredient, then comparing results.  

I think we could rotate our events among these variations to the idea of a lcoal single style competition.

I'll add a note to the newsletter to try to generate some discussion.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:41:58 PM by killrwv » Logged

killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:29:15 PM »

At the October meeting we settled on Kentucky Common as our first Club Only, Single Category competition.  It's a beer none of us are familiar with so it should be fun.

Judging will be at the November SNAFU Gauntlet, Saturday, November 14th, 4 PM at Bad Beat Brewing in Henderson.  We're collaborating with the Barley's Angels to discuss beer tasting and judging, and then we'll judge the Kentucky Commons.  The Angels will also hold a raffle.  Everyone's invited to both enter the competition and come to the Gauntlet. 

Karie form the Angels is coordinating food and there may be an optional $5 cost that will cover food and a Bad Beat beer.

Hope to see everyone there and bring your Kentucky Commons!

jubelale
Assistant Brewer

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »

Here's what I went with for a first stab at a Kentucky Common.

6 gallon batch
8 lbs 2 row
3 lbs grits
4 oz Black Prinz
2 oz c40
2 oz c120
24g cluster at 8.1% for 60 min
4g cluster for 5 min
wlp090 at 68f
OG 1.048 SRM 14 IBU 25 mashed at 154
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:04:44 AM by jubelale » Logged

John
killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 08:39:52 AM »

Thanks for the recipe John.  I'm going to brew a three gallon batch tomorrow.  I'll post what I do here once I concoct something.

By the way, the Gauntlet is 5 PM on the 14th for SNAFU members.  I'll be teaching a short seminar on the BJCP system and beer judging to the Angels between 4 and 5 (SNAFU members are welcome to attend that portion if they wish).  THe Barely's Angels and SNAFU are collaborating and providing pizza for all attendees.

Bill

killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »

My 3 gallon Kentucky Common recipe to be brewed tomorrow:

2.5 lbs. Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.5 libs. Rye Malt
1.5 lbs. Flaked Corn
8 oz. Caramel 40L
4 oz. Chocolate 350L
.5 oz. Cluster @ 60 min
.5 oz. Cluster @ 5 min
Lallemand Nottingham yeast
152 F Single infusion mash for an hour

Bill

killrwv
Sr. Brewer

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 10:53:35 AM »

In case you missed it, the next Club only, single cateogry competition is Czech Lagers, category 3 of the 2015 BJCP guidelines.  I know it's late to try to brew one now for January 23rd but I'll try to make more use of the fourms for annoucements like these.

Cheers!

WarnerDuh

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »

I would broadly support the "critique only" idea, but wed still have Charlie Williams and annual competition for the competitively minded.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home Help Calendar Login Register